2018 Conservation Scholarships
CDI is partnering with local Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCD) to foster the higher education endeavors of Iowa students interested in conservation and agriculture by offering scholarships. Iowa High School Class of 2018 students pursuing programs of study in any field of conservation or agriculture qualifies for the Conservation Scholarship. While this is a wide field and many studies qualify, preference will be given to students pursing programs of study in conservation. The scholarship must be used for the student’s first year of college education.
2018 Application & Instructions
Please note that the application form has been changed. Application forms from previous years will not qualify. Follow the instructions on the application closely. Applications filled out incorrectly will not qualify. Pay close attention to deadlines. Applications submitted after set deadlines will not be considered. The application is available at www.cdiowa.org.
Application Process & Deadlines
- October, 2017: Participating SWCDs get the word out about the 2018 Conservation Scholarship.
- Friday, February 16, 2018: Applicants must submit their scholarship applications to the SWCD Office in the county which they reside in. Visit https://idals.iowa.gov/FARMS/index.php/districtMap and select your county on the map to locate your county SWCD Office.
- Friday, March 16, 2018: The local SWCD chooses a county application to forward on to their CDI Regional Director.
- Friday, March 30, 2018: The CDI Regional Director chooses a regional application to forward on for consideration at the state level.
- Friday, April 13, 2018: A judging team of CDI Officers, Regional Directors & Alternates then make the final selections. There are nine CDI regions.
- Tuesday, May 8th, 2018: CDI will then alert the local SWCD offices with winning applicants. Local SWCD offices will in turn notify the student, school and local media.
- NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED IF SUBMITTED AFTER THESE DEADLINES.
After final selections, the top three scholarships will be awarded at the state level in the amounts of $4000, $3000 and $2000. Winners from the remaining six regions will each receive $600. First, second and third place awards will be paid directly to the applicant’s school of choice in two equal installments, one upon enrollment at the beginning of the year and the second at midterm. The six other scholarships will be paid directly to the students.
**The Region 6 Conservation Scholarship Winner will receive an additional $350 from the Larry Beeler Memorial Scholarship Fund. Please see the attached sheet with details on Larry Beeler and this scholarship.**
Scholarship applications are judged based on the following criteria:
- 20 points for Involvement, Leadership and Character
- 20 points for Career
- 30 points for Scholastic Achievement
- 30 points for Conservation Message